Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Google Reader and RSS

I had always wondered what made RSS so special. I knew the basics of how it worked and new a lot of people used it, but I never saw an occasion to rely on the service.
Little did I know that with a gmail account I also have Google Reader, an RSS service! Seeing as I check my gmail many times a day this is a perfect way to get updated.

One of my favorite things on the internet are Webcomics. Xkcd, Questionable Content, Pictures for Sad Children, Dr. McNinja, I love these things. At one point I had all of the webcomics linked at the top of my browser. It filled the whole browser and then some. This got annoying quickly and I looked for a way to house all the bookmarks in an easier way. I put them all on a delicious account, but then they were too out of the way to check them regularly. Now with Google Reader I don't have to waste time going to the sites to look for updates at all I can just check my e-mail to see if it has been updated! This will make my life so much easier and free up loads of time.

On many of these sites, an RSS feed icon was prominent and clicking that let me select Google as my RSS reader.  Some sites though, I had to copy the url and put it in manually on Google reader. Still some sites did not have RSS feeds set up.

No comments:

Post a Comment